Friday, September 25, 2009

My head is stuck on replay...

This morning I was driving in to work, listening to my favorite morning show, The Morning Mashup. Just as I turned into the parking lot at school, they finished making fun of Nicole for not knowing what organization is based in Langley, Virginia (It's the CIA, in case you didn't know) and the next thing out of the speakers was "Somebody call 911...Shawty fire burning on the dance floor. Oh whoa." At that moment I turned off my car as I was in the parking space, and running late at that. Unfortunately, the song continued in my head. All the way in the building. All the way through a co-worker's birthday breakfast. Then I got to my TA (our version of home room). I was trying to think about what I needed to share with them and all I could think was "Somebody call 911...Shawty fire burning on the dance floor. Oh whoa." Then I realized that sixteen 10 and 11 year olds were staring at me with bewildered looks on their faces. Did I just sing that out loud? Yes! Oh, great. So, I proceeded to tell them why I just burst out in song and they understood immediately. They even sang a few verses of it for me. I think they felt bad I didn't hear the whole song in the car and were making up for it! Anyway, I proceeded to get it stuck in their heads (hehe) and I went on with my day.

At first, every few minutes it was the same: I was taking attendance (She's fire burning, fire burning on the dance floor...), passing out papers (that little shawty's fire burning on the dance floor...) and so on. Eventually, I was welcoming all the little questions and problems that arise in the day of a teacher because it was driving that particular "little shawty" out of my mind! Finally, the end of the day arrived and as the last bus was called to leave, a girl in my TA said "That song has been in my head all day! Did you ever get it out of your head?" I actually had done such a good job, that it took me a minute to even process what she was talking about! Why yes, honey, it is gone! She was happy for me and went on her way.

I gathered up my things and headed for the door. It's usually a race for teachers to get out of the building the fastest on Fridays, and today was no different. I went to my car and began my journey home. Ready to not think for 15 minutes while I drove, just relaxing as the work week ended, I turned up the radio. "Somebody call 911...Shawty fire burning on the dance floor...Oh whoa!" Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! So what could I do? I turned it up even louder and sang my heart out.

No comments:

Post a Comment